OUTCOME-BASED PAYMENT APPROACHES
Each payment system brings its own set of desired and perverse incentives; different approaches are likely to be required to fit the needs of different populations, different conditions and for different types of care. Particular consideration is needed when financial incentives between sectors are not aligned.
However, financing encompasses more than just the payment system, also reflecting the flows of capital to support service structures. Debate on payment systems must also give consideration to balancing financial risk, outcomes, performance and responsibility.
Hedge, S 2019, Issues Brief: Re-orienting funding from volume to value in public dental services, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/publication/health-policy-issue-briefs/deeble-issues-brief-no-32-re-orienting-funding-volume-value
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) 2019, Innovations in health funding – global horizon scan, https://www.ihpa.gov.au/publications/value-based-health-care
Fitzgerald, J 2015, Issues Brief: Options for finance in primary care in Australia, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/system/files/docs/publications/deeble_institute_issues_brief_no._11_fitzgerald.pdf
- Toggle ContentDawda, P 2015, Bundled payments: their role in Australian primary health care, Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association, https://ahha.asn.au/sites/default/files/docs/policy-issue/bundled_payments_role_in_australian_primary_health_care_1.pdf
- Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) 2017, Bundled pricing for maternity care, https://www.ihpa.gov.au/publications/bundled-pricing-maternity-care
- Bund-Payment Models Around the World: How They Work and What Their Impact Has Been, April 6 2020, The Commonwealth Fund, Jeroen Struijs, Eline F. de Vries, Caroline A. Baan, Paul F. van Gils, and Meredith B. Rosenthal, https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/2020/apr/bundled-payment-models-around-world-how-they-work-their-impact?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=International%20Health%20Policy
- Rebbeck, J 2019, Outcomes Based Commissioning – Diabetes Practical Case Study (webinar), Webinar URL
- The King’s Fund, The University of Melbourne, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) 2016, Challenges and lessons for good practice: Review of the history and development of health service commissioning, Commonwealth of Australia, https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/Literature%20and%20evidence%20review%20on%20health%20service%20commissioning
- NSW Health, Commissioning for Better Value fact sheet, February 2020, https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Value/Pages/commissioning-for-better-value-fact-sheet.aspx