The Australian Centre for Value-Based Health Care has identified a number of resources that may support your work in value-based health care. They have been grouped into the following categories to help you navigate through the selections;
Porter, M & Teisberg, E 2006, Redefining health care: Creating value-bsed competition on results (presentation), Boston, Mass: Harvard Business School, https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication%20Files/20060502%20NACDS%20-%20Final%2005012006%20for%20On%20Point_db5ede1d-3d06-41f0-85e3-c11658534a63.pdf
Redding, D 2016, New approaches to value in health and care, The Health Foundation, https://www.health.org.uk/publications/new-approaches-to-value-in-health-and-care
NHS England 2017, NHS Board Paper PN 09.02 2017/06, NHS RightCare and the shift to value-based healthcare, https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/board-papers-090217-item-6-nhs-rightcare.pdf
European Commission 2019, Defining value in ‘value based healthcare’: Report of the Expert Panel on effective ways of investing in health, https://ec.europa.eu/health/expert_panel/sites/expertpanel/files/docsdir/024_defining-value-vbhc_en.pdf
NSW Health 2019, Value based healthcare, https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Value/Pages/default.aspx
Creating value in partnership with patients
Dimopoulos-Bick, T, Osten, R, Shipway, C, Trevena, L & Hoffmann, T 2019, Shared decision making implementation: a case study analysis to increase uptake in New South Wales, Australian Health Review, vol. 43, pp. 492-499, https://www.publish.csiro.au/AH/pdf/AH18138
The Experience Based Co-Design Toolkit provides a convenient reference to equip those working in the health sector with the tools and approaches to bring consumers and health workers together in an authentic and equal partnership to co-design care to deliver an improved experience.
If your organisation requires additional assistance to undertake co-design, AHHA has an experienced team who can support you. For more information contact Lisa Robey by email or on 02 6162 0780.
Improving the Patient Experience – How to develop a Strategy by using Data and Digital Solutions to Advance Person-Centred Care (webinar), https://youtu.be/Ad3iZlcN8b0
Cochran, J & Saini, J 2019, Healer, Leader, Partner – the role of the physician leader in leading change in health care (webinar), https://youtu.be/6695S6yUP2c
Measuring outcomes and costs
The routine collection, sharing and analysis of outcomes and cost data and other relevant information will be enabled by an integrated health information infrastructure, enabling both patient and population-level health information. This includes not only the hardware and software of health informatics systems, but also the standards governing such systems and organisational capabilities to use them effectively.
- International Consortium of Health Outcomes Measurement (ICHOM), www.ichom.org
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2019, Patient-Reported Indicators Surveys (PaRIS), https://www.oecd.org/health/paris.htm
- King’s Health Partners 2019, Outcomes Books, https://www.kingshealthpartners.org/resources?utf8=%E2%9C%93&category=Outcomes+Books&commit=Filter#article_filter
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care 2019, Patient-reported outcome measures, https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/indicators-measurement-and-reporting/patient-reported-outcome-measures
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care 2019, National arrangements for clinical quality registries, https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/national-arrangements-clinical-quality-registries
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care 2019, Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation Series, https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/publications-and-resources/australian-atlas-healthcare-variation-series
Australian Medical Association 2016, Position statement: Measuring clinical outcomes in general practice, https://ama.com.au/position-statement/measuring-clinical-outcomes-general-practice-2016
Keel, G, et al 2017, Time-driven activity-based costing in health care: a systematic review of the literature, Health Policy, vol. 121, pp. 755-763, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168851017301240?via%3Dihub
- Young, A & Flack, F 2018, Recent trends in the use of linked data in Australia, Australian Health Review, vol. 42, pp. 584-590, https://www.publish.csiro.au/ah/pdf/AH18014
- Tew, M, Dalziel, K, Petrie, D & Clarke, P, Growth of linked hospital data use in Australia: a systematic review, Australian Health Review, vol. 41, pp. 394-400, https://www.publish.csiro.au/ah/pdf/AH16034
- Gordon, J, Miller, G & Britt, H 2016, Issues Brief: Reality check – reliable national data from general practice electronic health records, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/system/files/docs/publications/deeble_institue_issues_brief_no_18.pdf
Integrated and patient focused care
Further, while traditional care delivery has focused on diagnosis, treatment, recovery and rehabilitation, a genuinely integrated, patient-focused and value-based approach will reach upstream to include preventive strategies and downstream to include long-term monitoring and management of chronic condition.
Productivity Commission 2017, 5 year productivity review: supporting paper no.5, integrated care, https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/productivity-review/report/productivity-review-supporting5.pdf
Outcome-based payment approaches
Each payment system brings its own set of desired and perverse incentives; different approaches are likely to be required to fit the needs of different populations, different conditions and for different types of care. Particular consideration is needed when financial incentives between sectors are not aligned.
However, financing encompasses more than just the payment system, also reflecting the flows of capital to support service structures. Debate on payment systems must also give consideration to balancing financial risk, outcomes, performance and responsibility.
Hedge, S 2019, Issues Brief: Re-orienting funding from volume to value in public dental services, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/publication/health-policy-issue-briefs/deeble-issues-brief-no-32-re-orienting-funding-volume-value
Fitzgerald, J 2015, Issues Brief: Options for finance in primary care in Australia, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/system/files/docs/publications/deeble_institute_issues_brief_no._11_fitzgerald.pdf
- Toggle ContentDawda, P 2015, Bundled payments: their role in Australian primary health care, Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association, https://ahha.asn.au/sites/default/files/docs/policy-issue/bundled_payments_role_in_australian_primary_health_care_1.pdf
- Independent Hospital Pricing Authority (IHPA) 2017, Bundled pricing for maternity care, https://www.ihpa.gov.au/publications/bundled-pricing-maternity-care
- Rebbeck, J 2019, Outcomes Based Commissioning – Diabetes Practical Case Study (webinar),
- The King’s Fund, The University of Melbourne, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) 2016, Challenges and lessons for good practice: Review of the history and development of health service commissioning, Commonwealth of Australia, https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/Literature%20and%20evidence%20review%20on%20health%20service%20commissioning
Enabling context, policy and institutions
Woolcock, K 2019, Value based health care: Setting the scene for Australia, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/publication/health-policy-issue-briefs/deeble-issues-brief-no-31-value-based-health-care-setting
Raymond, K 2019, Issues Brief: Reforming for Value: Opportunities for Outcome Focused National Health Policy, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/publication/health-policy-issue-briefs/deeble-issues-brief-no-33-reforming-value-opportunities
Practical approaches to value-based healthcare
Saunders, C, et al 2019, Perspectives brief: Towards value based healthcare: Lessons learnt from implementing outcomes measures, Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research, https://ahha.asn.au/sites/default/files/docs/policy-issue/perspectives_brief_no._5_toward_value_based_care_outcome_measures_2.pdf
Cole, D, McKee, S 2019, Case Study: Value-based health care – how Dental Health Services is transforming oral healthcare (webinar), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbPI4GLQdkM&feature=youtu.be
Silva, C F 2019, Value-based Radiology – A Modern Practical Approach in the era of Value-based Healthcare (webinar),
Okunade, O, Arora, J, Haverhals, A, Niessen, L 2017, Collaborating for value: the Santeon hospitals in the Netherlands, https://www.ichom.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Santeon_Case_Study_Final.pdf
Beyer, B 2019, Martini-Klinik: patient-centred outcomes data collection to improve prostate cancer care, All.Can, https://www.all-can.org/efficiency-hub/martini-klinik-patient-centred-outcomes-data-collection-to-improve-prostate-cancer-care/